Cleaner, faster and smarter drilling of unconventional and conventional wells
Engineered to meet the demands of unconventional drilling
The Evolution® high-performance water-based
drilling fluid system (HPWBM) specifically meets the demands of operators when drilling challenging and unconventional formations, reducing costs and improving the environmental profile of their operations compared to OBM.
Key features and advantages:
- Matches or exceeds the ROP, wellbore management, days on well, logging and casing operations performance of OBM
- Withstands demanding operational conditions such as HPHT
- Improves wellsite cuttings and waste management options
- Minimize fluids transportation costs and impacts
- Promotes recycling and re-use of fluid
- Improves HSE factors and lowers environmental liability
Key applications: Unconventional and conventional drilling application
Fluid type: Water-based drilling fluid systems
Temperature rating (Max): 425°F (220 °C)
Key performance characteristics: Extreme HPHT tolerance and OBM-like lubricity.
Performance rating: Excellent. HPHT and ROP performance.
Sustainability rating: Excellent
Proven in the field for a wide range of drilling applications
Although developed for unconventional applications the drilling performance and fluid stability of the Evolution system has made it highly popular with use by over 300 operators in more than 4,500 wells worldwide.
Evolution is proven not only in unconventional resource plays. It has been used successfully in conventional environments too, including high-pressure, high-temperature conditions, and other applications such as:
- Brines in the Bakken shale
- Potassium formate in southern Italy.
- Bottom hole conditions of over 400°F (204°C) in the Cooper Basin of Australia
- Shallow formations in northwest New Mexico
- Densities from 8.6 lb/gal (1.03 SG) in the Spraberry of the Permian to 18.8 lb/gal (2.25 SG) in Sichuan Province, China
- C02 rich environments and managed contaminates
- Proven high stability in prolonged trips and casing runs
Key fluid system chemistry, components and performance additives
The patented Evolution system formulation comprises three central components for drilling performance integrated with a complete suite of additives to further enhance performance.
These include thermally stable (to over 400°F) synthetic viscosifiers for fresh water and brine systems as well as filtration control solutions for brines that cover the full range of temperatures and brine compositions. Newpark has developed specific Evolution formations for use in HTHP conditions.
CORE SYSTEMS COMPONENTS
Eliminating clay in formulation, the rugged EvoVis® polymer viscosifer serves as an inhibitive coating agent for drilled cuttings in water-based drilling fluids. And, as a secondary function, it provides filtration control.
Perfect for unconventional wells, EvoCon® fluid conditioners are water-based stabilizers that deliver high-performance optimization of EvoVis® viscosifers, and EvoLube® DPE lubricant blends. And the EvoLube® G drilling performance enhancer is an effective lubricant blend even in HPHT conditions.
Additional performance additives
- EvoTrol™filtration control agent reduces fluid loss in water-based drilling fluids and provides gel strength for improved hole cleaning
- NewStabil™fluid stabilizer controls alkalinity in brine systems, extending the temperature stability of drilling fluid systems containing polymers derived from natural resources.
- A wide range of lost circulation materials are effective in both freshwater and brine formulation of the Evolution system.
Build a more sustainable drilling operation with the Newpark service advantage
Creating safe, sustainable, and efficient operations relies on dynamic and trusted partnerships. Our service advantage combines drilling fluids expertise, innovative custom chemistry, a world-class lab network and an effective global supply chain to offer all the support you need to anticipate and overcome your drilling challenges.
Our latest Evolution case studies
Romania, Moftinu region
Overcoming severe reactive shales reduces well costs by 22%
Evolution HPWBM customized with novel polymer delivers 44% reduction in drill time and 30% increase in ROP
Midland Basin, West Texas
Total fluids cost reduced by 16% over traditional OBM
Evolution Water-Based Mud outperforms Oil-Based Mud and provides cost-and-time savings for operators