NewZan™ L viscosifier is comprised of a 42% active slurry of xanthan gum, a high molecular weight polysaccharide polymer produced from bacterial action and a hydrophilic carrier. It increases viscosity in water-based drilling fluids, including brine systems.
- Hydrates more readily compared to dispersible xanthan gums such as NewZan™ D viscosifier, especially in brine systems
- Saves mixing and yield time
- Yields more fully to enhance performance
- Improves penetration rates and hole cleaning
- Resists salt and calcium contamination
- Readily mixes into all water-based drilling fluids, including brine systems
- Reduces pressure losses in the circulating system
- Minimizes formation damage from solids blockage
- Reduces material consumption when replacing gel
NewZan L viscosifier mixes readily into all types of waterbased drilling fluids, including brine systems, creating a shear thinning fluid system with low effective viscosity at the bit. The polymer additive improves penetration rates and increases viscosity in the annulus, which promotes better hole cleaning.
NewZan L viscosifier can be mixed through the hopper as required. Maximum shear ensures proper hydration. High salinity, cold water temperature and low shear rates slow the development of desired rheologies. Concentrations of 1-3 quarts per 300 gallons are recommended. NewZan L viscosified fluids may be susceptible to bacterial degradation. For normal use in drilling fluids, additions of a preservative may be needed. At a high pH (10.0 and above), NewZan L viscosifier becomes increasingly sensitive to calcium and may be precipitated out of the system. NewZan L viscosifier is effective to 300°F (149°C). The temperature limitation can be extended to 325°F (163°C) with NewStabil™ fluid stabilizer or other temperature extenders.
Typical Physical Properties
|Appearance:||Cream to tan colored liquid|
Handling and Storage
NewZan L viscosifier is extremely slippery. Use caution if spilled. Keep container tightly closed. Use appropriate hygiene, clothing and personal protective equipment suitable for work being done. Review the SDS thoroughly before using this product.
NewZan L viscosifier is available in 5-gallon (19-liter) pails.