Control losses and improve drilling efficiency in fractured formations and reactive shales
Prevent losses without lost circulation materials or cement plugs costs
The GageDrill Mixed-Metal Oxides (MMO) system is ideal for overcoming the challenges of drilling formations with high loss zones such as fractured formations and reactive shales.
The GageDrill MMO system provides a viscoelastic fluid at a steady-state that is readily shear-thinning during drilling, but acts as a gel preventing further penetration of the fluid into the loss zone.
Key features and advantages
- Minimize disturbance to mechanically weak formations
- Can drill most lost zones and keep circulation after initial losses
- Tremendous hole cleaning and suspension capabilities
- Easy to break circulation
- Can easily be broken over
- Can run screens which are finer than normal
Key applications: High fractured formations, milling fluid and unconsolidated formations
Fluid type: Mixed metal oxide (MMO) water-based drilling fluid systems
Temperature rating (max): 300°F (150 °C)
Key performance characteristics: Lost circulation, unique viscoelastic rheology profile
Performance rating: Advanced. [Specialized]
Sustainability rating: Excellent. Water-based and organic components
High loss inhibition
The GageDrill MMO system uses bentonite and a mixed metal oxide complex to give the drilling mud a unique viscoelastic rheology profile with the ability to inhibit losses while maintaining higher pump rates when drilling through loss zones.
The exceptional low-end rheology and high static gel strengths make it an ideal fluid for improved hole cleaning in larger hole sizes.
Why MMO fluids are a secret weapon against lost circulation
Mixed metal oxide fluids (MMO) are often widely under-estimated. Read our paper co-authored by R&D Manager, Pawilai Hallmark, to discover how the simplicity of the fluid, combined with a unique thixotropic profile and inherent ability to combat losses, means that GageDrill MMO significantly improves drilling performance.
Proven in challenging formations and fluid loss applications worldwide
- S.E. Gueydan Field, Vermillion Parish, Louisiana: Pea gravel, oyster beds and sands (AADE-03-NTCE-40)
- Tartagal, Salta, Argentina: Sands (AADE-03-NTCE-40)
- Rabi Field, Gabon, West Africa: Carbonates interbedded w/sands
- Cranberry Field, Western Alberta, Canada: Fractures
- West Congo: Depleted reservoir
- Irian Jaya: Fractured limestone reefs
GageDrill MMO drilling case studies
Downhole losses drastically reduced in shallow carbonate formation
Engineered solution reduces environmental impact across surface aquifier
Successful drilling of tough surface holes through problematic loss zone
GageDrill MMO averts the use of cement, reducing drilling time and fluids cost
Montney, British Columbia, Canada
Losses reduced by 60% and need for cement plugs eliminated
GageDrill MMO reduces costs and time in wells with severe lost circulation in surface interval